Monday, January 10, 2011

Has the use of technology really dumbed our society down?

Here's a curious question and there is definitely a legitimate reason for it.

First off, let's take a look at the 21st century and a few wonders of modern technology. We have cellphones which are essentually minature computers and can hold a worldfull of applications. We have music that can be placed in convenient mp3 files causing the CD to become used, yet still yesterday's news. Televisions are still here, but now only a few inches thick, and with such clarity, the viewer needs to blink to wonder if it's real or not. These are just a few, as the list can go on and on.

Which brings us back to the title question. Has the use of technology really dumbed our society down? I mean "USE OF TECHNOLOGY" as the amazing advances of technology can only be created by educated and smart human beings. But what about the users?....Please don't think this is a rant that everybody is dumb for using technology....Bear with me....We'll get to the point soon.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm a user of the useful and fun applications that modern cellphones can bring. I have a Facebook, sports applications, Weather Channel, and many other useful and entertaining applications.

The question came about when I simply just observed many youth of nowaday. I see them walking as if they have no earthly idea of any awareness of their surroundings. They are staring into the abyss of their cellphone world as if there is no other. Sometimes, I wonder if they need a slap on the side of their head to bring them back into reality. Has the ability to conversate in whole and complete sentences, or the use of real words for writing really been overtaken by the digital world where many young people think "u" can be substituted for "you" on a paper?! Has "whatever" become the universal way of ending a point when no point has really been made in the endless cycle of text messenging?! ("Whatever" is used in vocal conversations as well)....Scary thoughts.

My educational background is History and Social Studies and I actually feel worried when TEENAGERS don't know much about their own state, or the name of one of their neighboring states. At least many can name the President, but many can't even name the Vice President, or the past 2 presidents. What really worries me is the lack of historical knowledge. Many students don't know why Martin Luther King Jr. was famous, or what World War II was, or who Neil Armstrong was. Has the ability to "Google" everything taken away the want to immerse in knowlege as much as possible?

I know great teachers can impact youth and also a person's background from parental involvement can be of the the upmost impact as well. But with so many other distractions from technological use, how badly do we see youth looking to that as their false reality and not the ability or desire to learn real knowledge or make use of real imagination in books? Are books in people's hands disappearing to the digital world or to television? Is knowledge really losing out to television and the pointless viewing of celebritys' lives in that "entertainment" called reality tv?

Well, I think I've made my point. All of this questioning has simply come about from everyday observation. I hope I'm actually wrong this time.

1 comment: